Thursday 20 September 2007

Your teacher

Let me introduce myself. My name is Graham and I was born in Inverness; a town in the far North of Scotland.

I have been living in Madrid for just over six years now. I should be embarrassed to admit this, as I still struggle with the language now and again. But I feel quite settled here.

I am now in my mid-thirties and often wonder where the time has gone. It doesn't seem any time at all since I left school and was thinking what to do with my immediate future. I can't be labelled ambitious because I just seem to have been drifting since then. I keep on hoping that one day I will finally decide on what direction to take.

Before heading abroad, I attended the local college where I did a Business Admin course. It wasn't the best of choices as it held little interest for me. Now I suppose I regret not going on to University to do something I would have enjoyed more.

I had it in my head that I wanted to travel rather than study, and teaching gave me the opportunity to do that. My first port of call was Rome. I went on to spend seven and a half years there; much longer than I had anticipated! Whatsmore, over the six years since coming to Spain, I have been back to the Eternal city three times. I should quit throwing coins into the Trevi fountain!

I have decided to create a blog this year to complement classes. I am hardly what you would call an expert at computing but hopefully I will get the hang of it soon. So bear with me, please. If anything challenging that comes up in class requires extra practice, or I come across something that may be useful or interesting, I will post it here. What is most needed to make this blog a success is your participation.

I'd like you to write a short introduction, as I have done, to all other blog-users. You can talk about whatever you want but make an effort to use language that demonstrates your abilities. Try to use unfamiliar constructions or expressions; as it is only by practising them that you make improvements.

Are there any expressions or constructions that I have used here that are new to you?

Happy blogging!

4 comments:

ariane said...

First of all i introduce myself. My name is Ariane and i have only had one class with Graham last tuesday. I am working in the General Directorate of Civil Protection (as i am not sure about the correct name, for spanish people it is the Dirección General de Protección Civil).
I think i am opening this blog. I have never participated in a blog before but i think it is a fantastic idea.
Graham, i expect you feel better now. I don´t know if you remember i told you i will not be here the next week. I will be in a course in Germany (Hamburg) where the language used will be english, so i hope learn a lot or at leat improve my fluency.
Bye and i ´ll see you the 16 th.
Ariane

Maty said...

Hello to everybody!
Congratulations Graham for this idea. I think that the blog is a good tool to do more interesting learning English.
On the another hand, I hope you feel better now. Philip asked to me what we did to you on Tuesday to feel you bad (he is always joking).

Now I ‘ll introduce myself. My name is Matilde, although a lot of people call me Maty. I was born in Granada in the sixties but I have been living in Madrid since I was seven.

I am civil servant and I work in Spanish Civil Protection and Emergency General Directorate since 1997. Before I worked at Ministry of Defence and at Ministry of Industry and Energy.

Graham, I understand you come back to Rome from time to time, it’s a beautiful city, although I personally prefer Florence.

As I told you, I’m Jack of all skills. Nevertheless, I’d like to participate as much as possible blogging.

Graham said...

Hi Ariane!

I remember you mentioned that you would be attending a course this week but I didn't understand that it would be in Germany. I am sure that all your apprehensions were unfounded. I passed through Hamburg many years ago and I don't remember that much about it; but I have heard that it is a vibrant city now. You'll tell us all about it when you get back.

The mistakes that I've spotted are the following:

First of all allow me to introduce myself.

I work in the Civil Protection. (if you say that you "are working" there, it suggests that it is only a temporary measure and you will change job soon)

I don't remember if I told you that I wouldn't be here next week
(unlike Spanish, "the" is not used before "next" and "last" week, month)

I will be ON a course.

I hope I will learn a lot / I hope to learn a lot.

And don't forget to use capital letters where necessary (eg I , English). It can give a bad impression.

Congratulations on being the first to post something here! I look forward to further contributions.

Graham said...

Hi Maty!

I hope you are right and that this blog proves to be a good tool to make improvements. Let's see if we can turn it into a success!

I see some careless mistakes!:

I think that the blog is a good tool to make learning English more interesting.

On the OTHER hand ( we use this to compare two things that are related in some way )

what we did to you .... to make you feel bad.

I am A civil servant

I HAVE BEEN WORKING in THE Civil Protection. Before I worked at THE MOD and THE Ministry of Industry. (we use "the" when we are talking about unique bodies eg the Queen, the Government, the National Health Service...)

The expression is "a jack of all trades". This is someone who has many skills. It doesn't mean someone who is always busy.

I agree with you that Florence is a stunningly beautiful city but I think it lacks the unique charm that is Rome.

Just spotted another mistake! :-)

Philip asked me...( unlike Spanish we dont "ask TO someone")